Monday, February 02, 2009

Gift From the Sea is a Great Read

"The present is passed over in the race for the future..." (118)

I just finished reading Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindbergh and found it to be both beautifully written, and inspiring. I was particularly interested in the author's thoughts on the work-relationships- motherhood balancing act. The author addresses this issue with the voice of a modern woman, although she penned the book over fifty years ago.

The sea shell/phases of life metaphor is very tangible. I think it is amazing and inspiring to see a woman who endured the heartache of losing a child tragically live out the rest of her life with strength, hope, and a submission to change.

"One should lie empty, open, choiceless as a beach- waiting for a gift from the sea." (11)

The author reflects on the changing shape of her life and admits a desire to be at peace with herself. She reflects on what it means to "live in grace." There are times in life when one feels in-sync and other times out-of-sync. She emphasizes the need for simplification in order to find grace.

"What a circus act we women perform every day of our lives. It puts the trapeze artist to shame. Look at us. We run a tight rope daily, balancing a pile of books on the head. Baby carriage, parasol, kitchen chair, still under control. Steady now!"(20)

That is an accurate description of me! I always thought that staying home raising a family would be easier than being a working woman without children. However, it turns out that dedicating my time to the development of little people is the most challenging job ever. It is a sacrifice that completely transforms me, when I let it. My children make me a better person.

Focusing on them entirely, at this point in my life, has forced me to slow down and reflect on the type of person I am becoming. They are my mirror. They police me. Gift From the Sea reminded me that the sacrifice to family and the home is temporary, and I must be alert to the lessons and joys of this moment in my life. Change will come again soon enough. What a great book, ...(and I can't wait to take the beach for granted again this summer).

4 comments:

Putz said...

what in the world is benjamin button age, and how could that make you older, and the four peple on my blog you would be judging are juassi, my second boy's father in law, me, young my oldest girl's father in law, 4. my first son's father in law and my kids say all of them except barloww are simply fascinating energetic people, so once again who LOOKS not is older?????

Loren Christie said...

Hi Putz,
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a book; recently it was made into a movie. It's about a guy who ages backwards. Take Karma Lee to see it, it looks like a good movie.

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

This is a beautiful book and you describe it very well!

avagdro said...

Thank you Loren Christie for sharing.Sounds good.Wish you n all a Happy Valentine's day ahead.Cheers!

lol:)
Gifts to India|Gifts to chennai|Gifts to Bangalore

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog