Wednesday, March 11, 2009

BBC Reading Meme

My friend Elizabeth tagged me on Facebook to see how many of these classics I've read. She, Candice and I started a hard core book club. We only read classics. The BBC thinks that most people have only read six of the following list. "Unique" people have read more. How many have you read? (Cliff's Notes don't count!) I put an (x) next to the books I've read.

Here's my list:
1 Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen (X)
2 The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien (I dislike this genre, but I did read The Hobbit)
3 Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte (x)
4 Harry Potter series - JK Rowling (1/7 X- I read the first book and got bored)
5 To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee (X)
6 The Bible (X)
7 Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte (X)
8 Nineteen Eighty Four - George Orwell (X)
9 His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman
10 Great Expectations - Charles Dickens (X) (read it seven times- If you had me as your English teacher you remember me for, and possibly suffered brain damage from this assignment. Sorry, My bad. I still love this book.)

11 Little Women - Louisa M Alcott
12 Tess of the D’Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy
13 Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
14 Complete Works of Shakespeare (x)
15 Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier (X)
16 The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien (X)
17 Birdsong - Sebastian Faulk
18 Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger (X)
19 The Time Traveller’s Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
20 Middlemarch - George Eliot
21 Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell (X)
22 The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald (X)
23 Bleak House - Charles Dickens
24 War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
25 The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
26 Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh
27 Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
28 Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck (x)
29 Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll (X)
30 The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame (X)
31 Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy (X)
32 David Copperfield - Charles Dickens(X)
33 Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis
34 Emma - Jane Austen (X)
35 Persuasion - Jane Austen (x)
36 The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - CS Lewis (X)
37 The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
38 Captain Corelli’s Mandolin - Louis De Bernieres
39 Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
40 Winnie the Pooh - AA Milne (x)
41 Animal Farm - George Orwell (X)
42 The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown (X)
43 One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
44 A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving
45 The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
46 Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery
47 Far From The Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy
48 The Handmaid’s Tale - Margaret Atwood
49 Lord of the Flies - William Golding (X)
50 Atonement - Ian McEwan
51 Life of Pi - Yann Martel
52 Dune - Frank Herbert
53 Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons
54 Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen (x )
55 A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth
56 The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zifon
57 A Tale Of Two Cities - Charles Dickens (X)
58 Brave New World - Aldous Huxley (X)
59 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon
60 Love In The Time Of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
61 Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck (X) (LOVE THIS BOOK)
62 Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov
63 The Secret History - Donna Tartt
64 The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold (X) (So disturbing)
65 Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas (X)
66 On The Road - Jack Kerouac
67 Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy (X)
68 Bridget Jones’s Diary - Helen Fielding
69 Midnight’s Children - Salman Rushdie
70 Moby Dick - Herman Melville
71 Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens (X)
72 Dracula - Bram Stoker (X)
73 The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett
74 Notes From A Small Island - Bill Bryson
75 Ulysses - James Joyce
76 The Inferno - Dante (x)
77 Swallows and Amazons - Arthur Ransome
78 Germinal - Emile Zola
79 Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray (x)
80 Possession - AS Byatt
81 A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens (X)
82 Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell
83 The Color Purple - Alice Walker (X)
84 The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro
85 Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
86 A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry
87 Charlotte’s Web - EB White (X)
88 The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Albom (X) (LOVE THIS BOOK)
89 Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (X)
90 The Faraway Tree Collection - Enid Blyton
91 Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad (x)
92 The Little Prince - Antoine De Saint-Exupery (X)
93 The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks
94 Watership Down - Richard Adams
95 A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole
96 A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute
97 The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas (X)
98 Hamlet - William Shakespeare (X)
99 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl
100 Les Miserables (I"M WORKING ON IT :} ) (Saw it 2x on Broadway in NYC)

Okay, Here is my score not counting the Miserable book... (45?)

There is a whole lot of American Literature that I've read that is not on this list, and I think it should be there because it is just as good as the titles listed. Here are some other American Classics that I love:

The Scarlet Letter - Nathaniel Hawthorne
Complete Short Stories of Nathaniel Hawthorne
The Complete Works of Edgar Allan Poe
Native Son- Richard Wright (A great book)
Black Boy- Richard Wright
The Glass Menagerie- Tennesse Williams
A Raisin in the Sun- Lorraine Hansberry
The Age of Innocence - Edith Warton
The House of Mirth- Edith Warton
Ethan Frome- Edith Warton
Death of a Salesman- Arthur Miller (Saw this Off-Broadway in NYC and it was SO good)
The Turn of the Screw- Henry James
Washington Square- Henry James
A Lost Lady-Willa Cather
As I Lay Dying -William Falkner (Great writing style!)
The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway
A Farewell to Arms - Ernest Hemingway
Complete Works of Flannery O'Connor (LOVE HER!)
Complete Works of Stephan King ( have almost read all, minus three)
Stuart Little - E.B. White (Read this to Big Brother multiple times)
The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Volume 1&2. - M.T. Anderson (I read Vol. 1, and now I'm about to read Vol. 2)

And other European books that I really enjoyed:

Beowulf- Unknown author
A Tale of Two Cities- Charles Dickens
Hard Times- Charles Dickens
Portrait of An Artist as A Young Man- James Joyce
Man of La Mancha- Miguel De Cervantes
Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
Greek and Roman mythology is also fascinating.

I'm wondering why The Lovely Bones is listed as a classic? I can name plenty of contemporary novels that are better and more uplifting. Personally, this book REALLY bothered me.

What's your favorite classic? Send me a comment. Also, if you want to join my book club via email, let me know.

8 comments:

Putz said...

i love your music selections as much as i love your writing and now as much as i love your READING...anna karenia...my first russian novel and then brother's karimazoff{sp} and then i tried war and peace and then dr. zhvargoSP...sp...sp]I ALWAYS HAVE TO SAY SPELLING..how can a writer have such bad spelling, but sometimes, actully all the time i do my spelling thing on PURPOSE

jenX67 said...

Nobody would probably believe me, but I've read most of these including the ones on your list, which is why I'm mad that I never finished the grad degree, b/c I could totally make extra cold hard cash teaching a part time lit class. I didn't see Ralph Ellison on the BBC's list. What's the matter with them? Maybe I missed it...Also, I didn't see any Native writers - Momaday or Alexie.

I enjoy reading blogs by smart people. You are a smart people. Hahahaha!

Romy and Andrew said...

The Great Gatsby -- F.Scott Fitzgerald. Every summer since 10th grade English with Mrs. Schwan.
And every short short story he ever wrote.
and
The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Smart science fiction from a chick. Oh, that reminds me of Atlas Shrugged. Ayn Rand. Yum!

Loren Christie said...

Oh, I forgot about Ayn Rand.Hi Romy! Jen, I have to read some Native American writing.I believe you, and you should finish the degree. ...And thanks Mr. Putz. :)

Anonymous said...

I am right in line with the average - six books from the list:

10 Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
16 The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien
25 The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
41 Animal Farm - George Orwell
49 Lord of the Flies - William Golding
72 Dracula - Bram Stoker


GT

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

Great Expectations was great and should be required reading for every young adult. I've read all of Ayn Rand's books and have them in my library. I'm posting mine now.

Loren Christie said...

Hi Elizabeth! GT, our friend Frank loves Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy too. I'm going to have to read that one eventually.

rhymeswithplague said...

I have read 31 of the classics and 9 on the Americans, and I read most of them after I was no longer in school. I too love the complete works of Flannery O'Connor (2 novels, 2 collections of short stories, letters, essays).

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog