Tuesday, March 31, 2009

No Lorens Left Behind

I'm the type of person who likes to test herself. I guess that's why I became a teacher. In college I had the option of taking classes on religion. One of my choices was The Sacrament of Marriage. I was newly engaged, and I figured, if I failed this class then I should cancel the whole thing. It was my test. I read my textbooks with fervor. I took feverish notes. I thought long and hard about every question the professor brought up. This is true. I used this course to judge and measure a major life choice, because I didn't completely trust my instincts. I got an A- in the class. It's probably because I hate to iron.

The class did me a lot of good, actually. It taught me the basics of marriage. What does that mean? I didn't really know then, but I have somewhat of an idea now. This is what I heard:

Love is a choice. It's about sacrifice, compromise and blind faith. Inviting God into your marriage is a good thing. He helps seal your commitment and keep it strong. Marriage is not about a pumpkin-carriage, glass shoe, prince charming. Marriage is one way God reveals his love to humans. Marriage can glorify God.

These words didn't make sense until I was married for a while. Then when we started to face "stuff" as a couple, I remembered the words. The class set my heart in the right direction in preparation for marriage, but the learning didn't stop there.

Marriage is a life-long course. It has the potential to change you for the better, but it requires constant work and effort. Who cares what I got in that class 12 years ago? What matters is that I am growing spiritually, emotionally, and intellectually from this relationship and that my marriage reflects God's love, touching the lives of others in a positive way.

So far, so good. Case in point, Milk Man is bringing in dinner tonight. Eight years ago he wanted to "mold" the puppy Hell Hound into a well-mannered dog. (Shhhh! I molded him.)

3 comments:

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

That's funny what works for your husband doesn't work for dogs. Wish you could've told that to Pavlov so I wouldn't have been forced to study his idiotic dog conditioning experiments in college.

Koala Bear Writer said...

Beautiful. Marriage is a wonderful, holy, amazing thing. And too many people just give up on it when the "stuff" hits. They're missing out!

Loren Christie said...

Again, Thanks for the comments!

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog