Friday, April 03, 2009

Believe this CHANGE: President Obama Attempts to Weaken Conscience Protections for Health Care Professionals


If you follow this blog then you know that the pro-life movement is a cause that I have felt passionate about since I was a teenager. To the best of my ability I always support respect for human life. It is my opinion that if doctors do not support life, many confused and pressured pregnant women will choose abortion. After all, it is natural to trust doctors. Last year I blindly trusted my pediatrician to the point that my oldest son ended up hospitalized with life-threatening pneumonia in his bloodstream. True, doctors are not God, however, their professional opinions play a crucial role in the decisions of patients.

What will happen in this country if pro-life doctors are forced to perform abortions against their conscience and Catholic hospitals are forced to allow them because of federally regulated laws? It is a violation of their civil rights as Americans and the current administration is attempting to slip it right past us. It is our duty as American citizens to use our voices and our pens to show opposition to federal decisions that lead to social injustice. My relatives served this country in times of war to protect my right to open my mouth in protest. So I do, and I hope you do also.

"On March 6, 2009, President Obama rescinded important conscience regulations that President Bush put into effect in order to ensure legal protections for Americans serving in the health care field. The rule is enforced by the Department of Health and Human Services' Office of Civil Rights in order to protect providers from discrimination or coercion based on their beliefs. Senator Tom Coburn has introduced an amendment to the 2010 Budget Resolution that attempts to stop President Obama's attempt to weaken conscience protections for health care professionals. Senator Coburn's amendment ensures that any funds used in the budget’s health care reserve fund will not be used to violate the conscience of health care providers or to allow government bureaucrats to make health care choices for patients, including which doctors they may see."
(The above information comes from The Susan B. Anthony List)

If you would like to support this amendment, please send the letter below, or one like it to the email address listed. Thanks!

Go to the following link to send the following letter to your Senators:
http://www.sba-list.org/c.ddJBKJNsFqG/b.4179747/siteapps/advocacy/ActionItem.aspx?aid=12087&msource=c4alerts&tr=y&auid=4697751

I am writing to you today to ask you to support Amendment number 828 to S.Con.Res 13. This amendment ensures that the funds made available through the budget’s health care reserve fund will not be used to violate the conscience of health care providers or to allow government bureaucrats to make health care choices for patients, including which doctors they may see.The Department of Health and Human Services finalized a rule in January 2009 to clarify existing protections for Americans serving in the health care field. The regulation, posted in the Federal Register on December 19, 2008, will reinforce current laws protecting health care workers who have a right to follow their conscience. They merely preserve the rights of individuals to refuse participation in abortion-related health care. Clarity of the current law is needed so people know their rights. Unfortunately, on March 6th, the Obama administration formally moved to rescind this important rule. For this reason it is crucial that the Senate act to protect the right of conscience for health care workers.In the face of increasing shortages of qualified health care personnel, these regulations will also help ensure that pro-life doctors, nurses and hospitals continue to provide valuable services to needy communities around the country.Thank you for your attention to this matter, I would appreciate a response.
(Your Name Here)
Above picture is baby Bigfoot at 4 days old.

17 comments:

Milkman said...

Crackberry

Loren Christie said...

Oh my goodness. Milk Man is everywhere.

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

Oh Big Foot is such a cute little baby. I'd love to see a picture of his baby footprints.

David said...

Why should our tax dollars be manipulated to serve the interests of the catholic church in violation of the laws of America?

The catholic doctors and hospitals don't need to accept tax dollars if they are not willing to abide by the laws of america.

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

Why should I have to pay for the murder of an innocent child? Why should a practitioner of health who has taken an oath to "do no harm" be forced to participate in this act? This is akin to Nazism.

Milk Man said...

David,

The Establishment Clause protects the right of Religious Belief and moreover the 1st Amendment protects the Right of Free Speech. Our tax dollars go to agencies and causes we agree with and disagree with. Why should our tax dollars go to Planned Parenthood? We can have a reasonable dialogue regarding our different views. However, if they are insensitive or attacking the respective differences we have it displays a level of intolerance. I would enjoy visiting your blog, please provide a link.

Koala Bear Writer said...

Great comments, Elizabeth and Milkman.

Loren, we're facing a similar issue here in Alberta, although it's the doctor's organization that's trying to reword a document governing what doctors do. Honestly, we need to speak out more and make our beliefs and values known.

David said...

Milk man - please educate me about how any tax dollars go to support planned parenthood. I am not aware that they have any such financial benefits.

I can't claim they don't but I can't believe they do.

Please educate me.

David said...

Since this is a published blog, I think I am free to read it and since the comments section seems to invite comments from any reader - why must I have a blog to be allowed to comment? I don't understand that constraint. Please explain.

I honestly do respect your right to your opinion - I would hope that you would respect my right to an equal opinion.

I was an unwanted baby - my biological mother placed me for adoption. there were no takers. I spent many years wishing I had never been born. I have overcome that now but I have to ask why the people who rant and rave about being anti-abortion are not adopting some children like me who seemed unwanted. I don't see any of those lilly white parents at the anti-abortion protests who have adopted minority, or disabled, or hiv+ children. When I see that, they will have my absolute support and respect.

Cheers

Milk Man said...

David,

I didn't say you need to have a blog, if you do I would enjoy reading it. Planned Parenthood receives Title X and medicaid grants and funds. No one should face the obstacles you have, especially a child. As you noted above, you have overcome adversity and now want to live. Take care.

Loren Christie said...

Thank you for remaining respectful in the comments on this post, readers. Koala, it's interesting to hear what is happening in Canada. David, I am truly sorry for how you felt as a child. It is terrible. Personally, I am not able to adopt a child at this time because I have three small children, and I truly could not handle it. However, I have always been open to adoption, and I do not have preferences as to culture, sex, or health of the child. I have looked into it, as a matter of fact. In my work I've supported struggling single mothers, organizing fundraisers that have provided over $10,000 for their support. I have done outreach for organizations that support HIV positive individuals and their children. I get teens involved with this work and I try to spread tolerance. HIV positive adults have spoken publicly at Catholic youth retreats I organized. They are amazing speakers and great people who bravely promote tolerance. It is my honest wish to spread understanding and support for those who are struggling, and try in my small ways to live out that desire. In my personal life I support the cause in my actions. My motivation comes from the gut, and I would not open myself up to criticism if I was not so moved. I wish you the best, and as long as you are polite, I welcome your comments.

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

One of the things I got from my reading of Les Miserables was an appreciation for the compassion society in general has for children, especially in comparison with how things were a few hundred years ago. We no longer look the other way when children are forced to live in the street. I think most Americans do whatever they can to help those less fortunate than themselves. I have 4 children myself, all of them very much wanted, and often think that I would like to adopt more when they are older. I have a good friend over at the blog Cause of Our Joy who has a Down Syndrome child and is constantly working to educate people on how to cope with life as a parent of a special needs child - Down Syndrome babies have a 90% abort rate and they have such special spiritual qualities that she calls attention to in her work.

Leticia said...

David, I am so sorry to hear about the lack of love in your childhood. May God in His mercy give you the love you need.
You are right that pro-lifers need to walk the talk. My friends who have 4 of their own children, have adopted several mixed race babies, I have raised money for single mothers for years, and my husband and I support many of his poor relatives in Latin America. We are raising three daughters, the youngets of which has Down syndrome. We try and live up to our pro-life ideals.

Anonymous said...

On one hand, I firmly believe the decision on abortion (up until the time where the child is developed enough that it can survive outside the womb)should rest in the hands of the female who is carrying the unborn. I have seen compelling counterpoints to give me pause to reconsider, but nothing thus far has swayed my opinion.

On the other, I completely agree with Loren on this aspect of the pro-life/pro-choice debate. Doctors should have the right choose to not perform abortions if their faith or personal morals dictates that decision just as much as women should have the right to coose to have the procedure done in the first place...

GT

Anonymous said...

hey loren, i just discovered your blog through a google search on the conscience regulation for health care providers. i am a pro-life catholic married to a jewish doctor (for 23 years) and he is now pro-life took...took a while, as it often does...but his conscience is now rehabilitated and sensitive to life issues in a big way. heck, even agnostic, jewish, pro-choice, paraglegic doctor, charles krauthammer, has become a voice for some limits on embryonic stemcell research. as he bluntly puts it: "you might not think of the embryo as a human being, but it's certainly not a hangnail either." if you haven't seen that column of his, you should google it through the washington post, which syndicates his columns. oh, i'm also very mobilized over notre dame honoring pres. obama with -- of all things -- a doctor of laws degree when he speaks at ND commencement on may 17th. our son is a freshman at ND, so i feel personally betrayed by the ND top brass for doing this. anyway, loren, you are an inspiration to me. my friends tell me i should blog and your site is really getting me thinking. keep up the great work, sister and have a great holy week and easter! irene

Loren Christie said...

Thanks Irene. I'll definitely look up that column. I appreciate your comments. If you set up a blog I'd love to visit you. I agree with you about the free law degree. Wow a son at Notre Dame, that's great. Happy Easter to you as well.

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

Irene, you really should set up a blog if you are writing-inclined. It is easy to set up an account and you don't have to do it every day, just when the mood strikes, until you get a following that is! I also was thinking about the comments on this post today and forgot to mention my friends who have adopted older children, from the American foster care system. One of them has 5 adopted children, and pays for them to go to Catholic school, takes them to sports activities, and is very actively pro-life. It is a terrible thing when a newborn baby is not wanted, but then there are many people out there who would love to take a child into their homes to love.

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog