Monday, May 25, 2009

Gratitude List

It's good to get into a habit of listing your blessings, because it can help to shift you into a more positive mindset. Tell me what you're thankful for in a comment.

Today, Memorial Day, I'm so thankful for...
The beautiful town that I live in:



2. Veterans and those serving in active duty in the United States Armed Forces. Thank you for giving me freedom and protecting our country. Here are the veterans in my family that come to mind today:
  • Milk Man U.S. Navy Gulf War - his navy tattoo got us 10% off at Home Depot today!!
  • Raymond Christie U.S. Marines Gulf War, Iraq War (my brother-in-law)
  • Michael Cotter U.S. Marines Iraq War (Milk Man's nephew)
  • John Scharf U.S. Marines Gulf War (killed in attack on World Trade Center on 9-11) (Milk Man's cousin)
  • David Scharf U.S. Marines Iraq War (currently stationed in Japan) (Milk Man's cousin)
  • John McCarren- U.S. Navy WWII (Milk Man's maternal grandfather)
  • William D'Anieri- U.S.Navy WWII (my maternal grandfather)
  • Rocco LaCapria- U.S. Army WWII (my maternal great uncle)
  • Charles Fraser- U.S. Air Force (killed in WWII) (my paternal great uncle)

3. My Shakespearean-themed garden is turning into an English-American Literature themed garden. Milk Man bought the other half of the garden fence today, so next time I post pics that will be in. Here's an update on what's planted in it and how it looks now...

  • white and red Bleeding Heart bushes
  • Forget-Me-Nots (perennial)
  • Rosemary
  • Thyme
  • Curly and Italian Parsley
  • basil
  • mint
  • English daisies (perennial)
  • strawberry bushes
  • blueberry bush
  • Raspberry bush
  • wormwood plant!
  • English lavender
  • tomatoes
  • artichoke-s-three-for-a-dollar
  • peppers
  • squash
  • green onions
  • pumpkins
  • sunflowers
  • four-O'clocks
  • hollyhocks
  • 2 Clemantis vines
  • some annual flowers- Marguerite Daisies and a pink flower? (the princess picked those out)
  • foxgloves
  • Callalilly bulbs- ( I got those just so I can do my Katherine Hepburn impersonation, but they won't come up until next year.)
  • Jacob's Ladder














Happy Memorial Day!

8 comments:

Kimberly said...

Beautiful post! Happy Memorial Day to you and your family. It is a special day for your family and what a wonderful way to spend it by building the garden!

Caity said...

Happy Memorial Day! That is a lot to be grateful for. You definitely have a lot of people in your family who have served. I was also amazed yesterday at Mass when the priest asked anyone who had served to stand and there were a lot of people who stood up. It's a fantastic thing that we have such a day to honor them.

Your garden is awesome, by the way. It sort of makes me want to read Shakespeare again. I always did enjoy it when I read it for school. I can't wait to see what it looks like later on in the summer!

Putz said...

yea yea yea, my wife is spending her day in the garden also. me i watch and she has a lousy habit when when pulls a weed throwing it 2 feet from where she is standing or kneeling so i have to pick all that up...my dad was navy woorld war 11...father in law navy...me army special service{keeping the px girls happy in france}brother in law...army....sons nope...thank god they never ever....i still am pro life you know...i'll do it for them....thankinful i am a mormon and that my dad joined the church because of my mom, i know that to die hard catholics might seem silly

Sandra said...

I'm thankful for my family, immediate & extended. I'm thankful for my job. I'm thankful for my home. And I'm thankful for the brave men and women who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom and the freedom of others.

Poetikat said...

Having memorized "Ophelia's mad speech" from "Hamlet" in high school, I see a few familiar plants on that list. What a great idea!

Thanks for visiting my blog(s). Did you see the poetry blog?
I'm a practicing Catholic too. I will have to spend more time here.

Kat

Loren Christie said...

I love hearing all of the things you all are thankful for! Mr. Putz, I do not think it is silly that you are a Mormon. Nice to hear from you Sandra and Kimberly! Caity you sang so beautifully at the 11 a.m. Mass. I was so far back it was hard to see you, but every time you sang I pictured an angel. Poeticak, I did notice you're a Catholic, and I did see your poetry blog; both were really enjoyable! We have some things in common, (except for the living in Canada part).

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

Your garden is looking good! We spent much of the day gardening too, and I am thankful for that!

Loren Christie said...

Hi Elizabeth! Glad you and the family had a nice day.

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog