Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Secret #6: Mommy Says Be Salty

This is part of a series of letters written specifically to my children. Click on the label "letters to my children" to read the others.

Dear Christie kids,

First of all, I want to tell you how much I love each one of you for your uniqueness and the joy you bring to my life. Don't ever sell yourselves out. What I mean is, always be your authentic selves. Don't change because of the criticism of others. Don't hide your personality for fear of not being liked. Always know that I love and accept each of you no matter where your path takes you in life.

In my opinion, the most important job I have as your mother is teaching you about your faith, which is a great gift. I hope that throughout your life you are able to build a friendship with God, always keeping your senses open to His presence around you and within you. In your life there will be moments when you question everything you've ever thought to be true. That's good, and necessary for spiritual growth.

I know that each one of you has tremendous strength of will; I can see it already. You got the double-whammy from your parents. This is a gift. It will enable you to be a person of action, not just one of life's wall flowers. Use your voices, talents, time to make the world better in small every day actions.

I get some criticism for showing my faith to the world in this forum. That's OK. This is how I'm leaving a trail of myself for you. How can I tell you to live your faith if I do not? How can I tell you not to hide your convictions if I do? I won't. My actions, going back into my teenage years, have reflected an awareness of your future existence, a mindfulness of my need for your respect as a life teacher, not just a mother.

Always remember this:


"You are the salt of the Earth. But if salt loses its taste, with what can
it be seasoned?...You are the light of the world. A city set on a mountaintop
cannot be hidden."
- Matthew 5:13-14


I want you to stay as salty as you are right now. Life is not neat. It is a big, red finger-painted mess. None of us is perfect. Live an authentic, faith-filled life, and do not be afraid to do so. Really it is through action, not words, that we pass our faith on to others.

Love Forever,
Mommy

1 comment:

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

Beautiful! Good blogs are salty too.

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog