Monday, June 29, 2009

Gratitude List

It is good to get into the habit of counting blessings. This week the weather here is starting to finally resemble summer. Today was warm and sunny. For the past few weeks, however, I've been grumbling along with a lot of other locals about the amount of rainfall we've had. I had to have Roto Rooter come over today and pump out our cesspools because they are old, shallow and thanks to all that rainfall, full. I almost choke mid-sip on my Coca Cola when Mr. Rooter tells me the price, which apparently is listed somewhere in the clouds. (That's where his eyes go when he calculates the cost of the job.) Next comes my sad, sad story, told with an once of charm for good measure.

"I'm saving for new cesspools because I do oh so very much laundry and dishes." I say, tossing my hair and doing my best impression of Cindy Crawford drinking a coke in that 1990's soda commercial.

"It is so very discouraging you know, to have to pour thousands of dollars down your toilet, literally! Don't you think so, Mr. Rooter?" I wink and grin wickedly. To my delighted astonishment, he agrees.

"Plus I have to bathe three little children every day of my water-logged life. Woe as me." I pout.

Then I make eye contact, smile, and wait. Mr. Rooter laughs, nervously, and diverts his eyes down to the ground, shyly.

Next I save BIG TIME. The man locates a package deal in his heart that includes two cesspools pumped for the price of one. When I tell Milk Man the story he shouts over the phone:

"Way to go! Good job, babe."

This makes me feel a bit Bonnie and Clyde -ish, and I have a sudden thought that this behavior to save a buck may ultimately lead me to fall short of sainthood.

Nevertheless, this week I'm going to be thankful for water, the very thing I have been complaining about. I use so much of it, and take it completely for granted. The truth is, I love clouds, rain, steam, snow, oceans, lakes, rivers, streams, bubble baths, ice- cubed and crushed in my drinks. Water is one of the things that reminds me that I am loved.

I am thankful for water in all its forms.

5 comments:

Putz said...

your blankety blank()**%$%( rain is still a craw in my skull....the whole story was never told about the rudness of the flight people before i got to the point of massive being here on this earth stage and leaving very soon stage...yes your rain

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

My cesspool has been threatening us over the past few weeks. We had it done a few years ago and I don't want to have to do it again so soon! So we are timing our showers, washes, etc., and hoping the sun will dry it out. It definitely does make you appreciate the use of water!

Milk Man said...

If it was me making the deal it would have cost double.

Brenda Jean said...

I had to ask my hubby what a cesspool was...I usually think the word for things like "The media is a cesspool..." BAHAHAHAHAHA But he explained and I now get that it's your septic tanks. You are my hero the way you bargained with the Rooter man. I'm SOOOO not good at that. I would just freaked out and run back in the house. BAHAHAHAHAHA

Sandra said...

It seems we do take things like water for granted. Congratulations on getting a package deal. Hopefully, you won't have to have this done again anytime soon!

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog