Monday, July 27, 2009

Monday Gratitude List



My love for classical music started sometime in the basement of my childhood home, where dad would blast Pictures at an Exhibition by Petrovich Mussorgsky in his workshop. I would sit on the worn down step at the top of the staircase and imagine the scenes brought to life by the orchestra. A few months ago I bought Erik Satie: Popular Works for Piano on CD and the cover design is Impression: Sunrise by Claude Monet. Although I've had this disc in my desk drawer for a while now, I never recognized the famous picture on the cover. Until today, I only saw a mess of green shades, haphazard and abstract.
This morning, as the music played from my computer speakers, I noticed a boat on the CD jacket. My eye followed the dark image up to a city skyline and the light of a shimmering sun over murky water. I paused in the kind of surprised delight that happens when you see something new in familiar territory.

There have been times in life when I have felt this way, being too enveloped in a mental fog to recognize the whole picture before me, the door, the beauty in the moment, or the sun, even. Then, as I seem to sink down in cloudy water, I can make out a firm hand reaching out to me metaphorically, pulling me up into a more hopeful perspective if I can just manage to trust and grab on. Gradually my eyes follow the hand to the boat, and eventually I can see light.

What the heck am I talking about? Um...Well...Please excuse me, I've been reading Franz Kafka and (by the way) I am thankful that I am not a beetle.

Seriously, every week I post a list of blessings based on my recent experiences in an attempt to adopt a mindset of gratitude. Sometimes I mention ten things or more, and other times it's just one thing.

Today I am thankful for the Holy Spirit who guides me (when I let it) in this uncertain and confusing world.

Readers, What are you thankful for? Tell me in a comment.

Picture is Impression: Sunrise by Claude Monet. The original painting is displayed in the Musee Marmottan in Paris, France.

13 comments:

jenX said...

your discipline with this weekly list is admirable.

i am thankful for art, poetry, health, my sweet children. time.

Loren Christie said...

Thanks for your comment Jen. This is a wonderful list.

Deb said...

i am thankful you are not a beetle, too.

you are delightful, and your blog is such a wonderful, intriguing surprise!! i am glad we ran into each other.

looking forward to more from you, young lady.

rhymeswithplague said...

Great post, Loren!

A slight correction: Moussorgsky

Loren Christie said...

Hi Deb! Thank you Mr. Brague...I looked his name up on the internet, and that's how I found it spelled, but I had a feeling it was wrong.

Lee of MWOB said...

Hi Loren! It's Lee - your BlogHer elevator friend. :-) Thanks for checking out MWOB and wanting to affiliate - right on. I love your space over here. So well put together and so diverse in its content. I will email you directly for further chatting but wanted to say hi! And I love focusing on gratitude. I have a sign hanging in our place that says , "In everything, give thanks." It's the key to happiness....

What am I thankful for today?

That life continues to give me the chance to discover new people and new things about myself.

See you soon! And yes I agree with Deb - I am glad you are not a beetle too.

:-)

Loren Christie said...

Hi Lee! Thanks for stopping by. It's rare that I end up hitting it off with strangers in an elevator. You, Deb and Katie are very warm and friendly.

Caity said...

I also love classical music. I can't get enough of it. I have been listening to a lot more of it lately, too.

Loren Christie said...

Hi Caity,
Well, you have the most beautiful singing voice. I'm guessing you were classically trained.

Brenda Jean said...

This is such a cool post. I was never exposed to much classical music as a kid. I have had many moments as you mention though where I feel in a fog. Usually for me it's getting out where I can breathe the air, feel the soil, the plants etc. that clears my head.

Brenda Jean said...

I just realized I forgot to tell you what I was grateful for. My family without a doubt:)

Loren Christie said...

Hi Brenda, Thanks for stopping by. From your blog, it seems to me that you live in a beautiful part of the country surrounded by nature.

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

I love classical music and I am thankful I no longer have a high school English teacher forcing me to read Kafka's "Metamorphosis"!

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog