Monday, September 14, 2009

Monday Gratitude List

Monday is my day for listing weekly blessings. If you want to see some of my past gratitude lists click on the label Resolutions at the top of this post.

I am thankful today for:
1. Sleep
2. Exercise

I forget how necessary these activities are for me when I fail to get enough of them. I wonder if I am the first person to ever consider sleep an activity? I doubt it. It seems that whenever I am under stress, the time I devote to sleep is the first thing that gets cut back, and I suffer for it greatly. Having small children has made me value sleep much more than in the past. I think there is a reason why are designed to sleep, and if we didn't need it, our bodies would never feel tired. One time I got caught napping by a security guard in the parking lot where I took college classes. I was curled up in the back seat of my car between classes. I was too tired to care how stupid I felt when he knocked on the glass to be sure I was still alive.

Last night I fell asleep thinking about what sleep does for me. (How weird, right?) Being a list person, I made a mental list:

-It restores my sense of well-being, because even if I am worried about something, sleep makes me forget it for a while.
-Sleep rests my body; it helps it heal physically, and it strengthens my immune system.
-Sleep feels like a luxury or a great gift, especially when you have been very deprived of it for the past two years.

Why don't you sneak off and go take a nap right now...I won't tell. :)

Tell me what you're grateful for this week.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

I felt constantly tired the first two years after each birth. It's funny how exercising gives you more energy! I fell asleep on the couch this afternoon and hope I can sleep tonight.

jenX said...

the last 16 months home with my children. such a rich experience. working fulltime was hard. they're older now. i'm so grateful for this time.

Loren Christie said...

Hello Elizabeth, Jenx, thanks for sharing your gratitude list with me.

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog