Sunday, May 09, 2010

What Motherhood Means to Me


Much of what I write here under the label "family" is a humorous look at the ways my children drive me insane, but today, since it is Mother's day, I'd like to take a moment to get sentimental.

I've always felt in my heart that motherhood is worth risking everything. Being open to the idea of becoming a mother has blessed and changed me as a person for the better. It has made me less selfish and had taught me the true meaning of the cliche-"the most important things in life aren't things at all."

Many women are willing to go though anything to become mothers: painful medical treatments, long agonizing waits to adopt, high-risk pregnancies. Why do they put themselves through it?

In our society, the vocation of motherhood is undervalued, and yet, it is one of the highest callings. Being the best mother that I can be is my main priority in life. From the time I was a child, I was sure I wanted to be a mother someday. That's why when I turn on my television and see a female role model for fitness and nutrition say something like- "I can't handle doing that to my body," in a reference to pregnancy, I feel confused. I can't relate.

I'm not going to candy coat the experience. Pregnancy is scary, actually, especially the first one. I admit I did cry on the scale during my first. My emotions were mixed about being pregnant. It was an awesome miracle to be carrying a child and it was also an exhausting, uncomfortable experience that I could not wait to end. I still hold out hope that in ten pounds I will get back into that 15 year old dress in my closet. But honestly, I don't care about what happened to my body to get my children here. This morning I received three gooey glue cards, a Styrofoam fairy, butterfly magnet, and lots of affection just for being a mother.

Beauty fades but the joy of motherhood is a priceless gift that increases with time.

Pictures are top- of my kids in 2010 and bottom- me in 1976.

4 comments:

rhymeswithplague said...

A very nice post, Loren! And your kiddos are the icing on the cake! Treasure them now, because these years fly by....

Putz said...

being a mother and motherhood means some thing a little differeant to me since i am a fatehr, most days that is>>.big partae over at putzes

Loren Christie said...

Hello Mr. Brague! Yes- time is flying. Mr. Putz, wish the Mrs. Putz a Happy Mother's Day for me and I think your birthday may have happened recently- so happy belated b-day. I know more about you than I do about some people I actually know, isn't that odd?

Elizabeth said...

It definitely is worth it all. Happy belated Mother's Day to one of my favorite mommy friends <3

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog