Friday, June 04, 2010

Garden Diary


The birds are making nests everywhere, and my backyard seems to be prime real estate. A little Titmouse took up residence in my gated Shakespearean-themed garden. She likes to dive-bomb me when I water the flowers. On the north side of the property a family of Robins have moved into the two-story birdhouse, and they have a renter on the roof: a spider.





















My new shade garden is really picking up. I explained in an earlier post that I had an area of yard that had some nicely established perennials and shrubs, but was really hidden from the rest of the property. So I added to it, moved a bistro table and chairs under the tree, and now it's one of my favorite places to go. In his book Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, author John Gray writes that men like to retreat to their "caves." Well, women need caves too and this is mine.

-My cave is looking better and better.




















-The peonies leading up to my cave entrance.



















I set up a water system for my little Shakespearean-themed garden. One side is herbs and the other is perennials. I put a Soaker hose along the fence, aiming it away from the Lavender and Lamb's Ears, (plants that like dry soil). I have to admit that I felt like a garden genius after that idea.

1 comment:

Caity said...

Your backyard looks beautiful! I love the little birdhouses and your garden is absolutely amazing! :D

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog