Wednesday, July 07, 2010

How to Save a Baby Bird That Has Fallen Out of Its Nest

I have nests all over my property right now with baby birds in various stages of growth. Yesterday I found a baby Robin on the ground under the Cherry Tree. He barely had any feathers, and was obviously too small to fly away and take care of himself. It was clear that he had fallen out of the nest accidentally and that he was alright despite the fall.

I scooped him up with my garden gloves, being careful not to touch him with my bare hands. (I wish I had taken a picture of him, but I didn't want to disturb him too much.) Next I put the bird in a plastic container, without the lid, on the picnic table, so that other animals and my kids would not hurt him. Then I called the local animal rescue hot line. This is what they instructed me to do:


1. Find an empty hanging planter and fill it with leaves, grass and sticks to create a nest.

2. Place the baby bird in the center of the planter.

3. Hang the planter on a branch in the tree above where you found him on the ground.



The vet said that the bird's parents would hear its chirp and find it. Then, they would begin to care for the bird in the mock nest.


Today I checked the nest and found the mother Robin tending to the baby. If you find a baby bird on the ground, try this. It really works.

6 comments:

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

You are such a nurturing person. What a wonderful model you are to your children and others caring for all of God's creatures.

Loren Christie said...

Thanks, Elizabeth. :)

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site www.blogger.com
Is this possible?

Loren Christie said...

Sure Anonymous. On the sidebar here you'll see a box called contributers. Click on Loren Christie and you'll see a link to my email under my picture.

Anonymous said...

Lots of quite good reading here, thanks! I was searching on yahoo when I uncovered your publish, I’m going to add your feed to Google Reader, I look forward to more from you.

Loren Christie said...

Thank you, Anonymous, for reading. :)

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog