Friday, January 21, 2011

Loren's Pork That Looks Nasty but Try It You"ll Like It I Swear


Want to see how much your significant other loves you? Try making some Pork That Looks Nasty but Try It You'll Like It I Swear and test his/her trust.

I picked this recipe up in Chicago in a book titled Farm Table to Family Table: Recipes from America's Pork Producers. Although it gives my kids nightmares about Big Bird and they close their eyes, cringing as they eat, eventually they realize that it tastes pretty good. I had a great time in the Windy City, and I love meat.

While your dinner guests will have to exercise a little culinary faith in you to get over the initial fear of the first bite, they will not regret it. Who knows, they might even say, "Loren, I'm shocked, this is actually pretty good" and "at least there are no shrimp with eyeballs still attached on this plate." Those, my friends, are high compliments in my house.

6 boneless pork loin chops
2 tablespoons veg. oil
6 med. potatoes, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
salt, pepper
1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 8 oz. carton of sour cream
1/2 cup milk
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Cook chops in hot oil until brown on top, but red in middle. Arrange potatoes and onion in baking dish. Slice half-cooked pork and layer on top. Add salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, in a sep. bowl, mix soup, sour cream and milk together.

Spread all that on top of meat and potatoes.

Cover with foil and bake for 1 and 1/2 hour to 2 hours- check it. Potatoes should be tender and meat should be white.

Add cheddar cheese to top as it cools.

3 comments:

Putz said...

add some INDIAN curry to it and i will then eat it

Kold_Kadavr_flatliner said...

I'm so #@!! thankFULL you put a comma after the, 'Dude, where am I?' Few, if any, do that anymore. Where-in-the-world didju learn to punkUate? Verrry refreshing and adorable. Meet me Upstairs where I'll kiss your killer feet. God bless.

Loren Christie said...

Kold Kadavr Flatliner: Although your name is slightly terrifying and I am already taken, thank you very much for the compliment. :)

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog