Saturday, January 01, 2011

Mama Makes the Pizzas, by Princess


Hello. I am the Princess of Christie House and last night I was the great photographer of a New Year's tradition in this family- New Year's Eve pizzas!
At school, Mrs. Rocco said that each year Salmon have to swim back the their birthplace to lay eggs. They risk their lives to do this. Similarly, Daddy has to stop at 7-Eleven for coffee every day, even if he is wearing plaid shorts in a blizzard. Neither the fish nor Daddy know why they do it. It's the same way with Mama's traditions. Mama has to make the pizzas every December 31st because her grandpa did it and his mother did it before him.
Someday, I hope to mindlessly fall into this habit too, because the pizzas are worth it.
Mama makes about 50 for our friends and family just like great-grandpa did. She whispered to me that great-grandpa lives in the recipe. The directions are written in his handwriting on Grumman note paper. Mama can see his flour-covered hands on the cutting board. She says great-grandpa is standing beside her just like she used to sit next to his table so many years ago, mesmerized by the process, resting her head in her hands, eye-level with his bare, flour speckled arms and stretched color-drained tattoo, a souvenir from the second World War.
Sometimes Mama get a little choked up while she works, being sure that great- grandpa is standing over her shoulder. She promises to live in the recipe too someday. She'll fold herself neatly into the cookbook, a perpetual New Year's present for me and my brothers.
Happy New Year!
Click on the title below for the recipe and blog pizza history -






























1 comment:

Putz said...

those look like scones, so soft and fluffy and brown and yumpshish probably could eat them plain

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog