Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Lunch at the Morgue

One of the first things I did when I started working at the local weekly newspapers was look for the archives, or what some people in the office call "the morgue." The first time I heard the expression I took it literally.

"There's a morgue in this building?" I asked my editor, surprised. Then I figured she meant some kind of closet with outdated appliances, after all, one time I asked for a vacuum and was handed an Electrolux with a cloth cord. She can't mean dead bodies, I thought, and she didn't.

The morgue is the room where all of the archived issues of the weekly papers owned by the publisher are stored. Three or four different publications line the shelves, and one is defunct today. There are issues of my hometown newspaper dating all the way back to the 1880's. A few volumes are seared from fire damage.

I am always looking for a reason to go to that room. It's like walking into a local history museum or a library of antique books. And once I get in there it's hard to get me out. I could sit in the middle of the stack for hours reading. Sometimes I eat my lunch in there. I think those old newspapers are fascinating, right down to the advertisements. I'd move my office in there if I were allowed, but I bet I'd never get anything done.

Actually, I have to be careful not to sit in the morgue reading too long because ...


sometimes my little editor comes into work with me to make sure I'm not slacking.

4 comments:

Putz said...

i have some old newspapers that advertise hamburger for 27 cents a pound,,.>><><>and gasoline for 32 cents per gallon and that charles manson mess down in california

Loren Christie said...

Hi Mr. Putz :)

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

Sounds like a great place for coffee :)

Loren Christie said...

thAt iS a gOOd iDeA!

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog