Thursday, June 09, 2011

My June Garden: Question for Rose Growers

The roses are blooming all over my property this month. We've had some hot weather and one of the first things I do in the afternoon is walk around the backyard pruning and watering. Mr. Norman Whiskers is very protective and always keeps a close eye on me from the nearest window while I'm outdoors.

I have peonies that are over 20 years old and huge. The flowers are so gorgeous. There are maroon, pink and white ones. They only last about a week or two.

I didn't even get a picture of my lilac tree which was so beautiful while it was in bloom, or the giant purple irises.

I'm starting to get black spots on my roses. How do I get rid of the spots? I'm about to prune the bushes all the way back and fertilize. Rose experts, if you are out there, please advise in a comment.



























Above: Peonies- I wish they bloomed more than once a year. I like garden roses better than a florist-bought dozen.










2 comments:

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

My mother in law gets rid of it by removing the bush, throwing it out, and buying a new one. I'm sure there is a better way. I recall something about baking soda...maybe look up natural cures for black spot.

Loren Christie said...

:) that's funny. I think i lost 2 bushes. I think you are right about the baking soda.

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog