Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Review of Crossing the Goal: Playbook on Our Father

Spiritual strength is absolutely necessary in order to navigate through this world successfully. Crossing the Goal: Playbook on Our Father by Danny Abramiwicz, Peter Herbeck, Curtis Martin, and Brian Patrick is a spiritual study manual based on a weekly program for men that airs on EWTN and radio. It conveys the idea that the health and well being of men depends on their being spiritually fit. What I like about this study program is that it is designed in a way that I think most men respond to- using sports lingo to teach lessons. I love the main theme of the book: each of us is called by God to be great, but not necessarily in the ways we expect.

The chapters, referred to as "Spiritual Workouts," lead groups through 50 minute sessions that are divided into intriguingly worded and easy to follow parts. The sessions break every line of the Our Father prayer into themes that connect to scripture stories. The overall aim of the study program is to help participants focus and reflect on their own spiritual growth. The playbook, which has question sections and spaces for note taking, is meant to be used in conjunction with a DVD that contains short discussion-provoking segments that guide each chapter. I think it would appeal to men who are not necessarily that religious. They will at least recognize co-author Danny Abramowicz, a former Pro-Bowl receiver and NFL coach.

My favorite parts of the study guide are the assessments at the end of each chapter, where participants have an opportunity to develop an "action plan" in writing that records spiritual goals.

Certain points are made in the chapters such as,


  1. Our relationship with God is most important.


  2. Be a man of action. Stand up and honor God's name through your actions.


  3. Rely on Jesus to win your battles.


  4. Step into the culture with the light God gives you. (What are you doing with your time, money and abilities?)


  5. Make time for God every day.


  6. Be mindful of the impact you have on others.


  7. God will fight for you.


  8. Ask God to give you a personalized mission.
Overall, I like this scripture study manual very much and I requested a copy to review hoping that my husband will lead my two sons through the book when they are teens. I like that it is modern and timely; it uses language that men will tune into and hopefully, respond to.

This review was written as part of the Catholic book reviewer program from The Catholic Company. Visit The Catholic Company to find more information on Crossing the Goal: Playbook on Our Father . They are also a great source for a Catechism of the Catholic Church or a Catholic Bible.

2 comments:

Putz said...

i think i would make a good catholic<><><>

Loren Christie said...

You're a very good person and I don't think it matters what religion we have in the end- if we were loving people during life. Religions are all flawed to an extent. At least, that's how I feel about mine.

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog