Saturday, November 19, 2011

Minestrone Soup with Pasta, Beans and Vegetables


Minestrone is a traditional Italian soup that can be prepared in a variety of ways. The title comes from minestra, the Italian word for soup, and basically means "one big soup." This recipe is adapted from one listed on the Food Network website. It is vegetarian, utilizing the fresh vegetable stock I made a few days ago. What I like most about this recipe is that it can be made in the Crock Pot. Counting what went into making the broth there are about 15 vegetables in this soup. Here's how I made it:

Ingredients:
3 cups of vegetable broth (click here for the recipe for homemade vegetable broth)
One 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
One 15 oz. can (white cannellini or navy) beans, drained
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried sage
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup of kosher salt (this is optional, but I need some good salt)
1/4 of ground black pepper (to your liking- this is mine)
1/2 cup of pastina (You can substitute here- my kids like pastina stars)
1 medium zucchini, chopped
2 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
1/4 cup of grated Pamesan cheese
bread on the side
Add the zucchini, spinach and pasta about one hour before soup is done.

Directions:
In a slow cooker, combine broth, tomatoes, carrots, beans, celery, onion, thyme, sage, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. One hour before the soup is done cooking add the pasta, zucchini and spinach. Remove the bay leaves (if you can find them) before serving. Add Parmesan cheese and serve.  

1 comment:

Milk Man said...

Job well done.

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog