Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Dangerously Good Lasagna

Lasagna is comfort food, as far as I'm concerned. A good version has homemade sauce, fresh, real mozzarella in water- not refrigerated- and fresh ricotta. I'm spoiled enough to be able to get that stuff from Del Fiore's Italian Pork Store down the road.  Sometimes I actually make homemade sauce. I like to add a vegetable to the layers of pasta. Tonight it was sliced mushrooms and diced broccoli. I steamed the vegetables first.

It is possible to mess up a lasagna; I've done it. Mainly this happens when you run out of ingredients or under cook it. I've been know to have made the world's thinest lasagna, and the world's crispiest lasagna- using those oven ready noodles. At any rate, at least it's funny when it comes out wrong. Most of the time I get it right.

Dangerously Good Lasagna
Ingredients:
a box of lasagna, cooked, drained and placed in a cold pot of water to keep it from sticking together
1 lb mozzarella
Parmesan cheese- to your liking
1 lb ricotta cheese
4 quarts of fresh tomato sauce
a vegetable or two -steamed and chopped

Serves about 8
Good side dishes are meatballs and ciabatta bread- my favorite.

Directions:
It's not rocket science; you start with the sauce on the bottom of a large, rectangular baking pan, then cover with strips of noodles. Layer all the ingredients at least twice. The top layer has every ingredient except the ricotta and the vegetable. Then bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. I think this dish and baked ziti were the first entrees I ever made on my own when I was a teenager.

Tonight, apparently, eating my lasagna requires a helmet. I'm guessing that means it's dangerously good.


No comments:

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog