Thursday, January 05, 2012

I Ate a Duck (and I liked it)



The week I was born Elton John's version of John Lennon's Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds was still number 1 on the Pop Charts. I found this version of Elton John performing on the Sonny and Cher Show. It reminded me of when I was about 3 years-old and I lived in an apartment in Bayport with my parents. I used to stay up and watch the Sonny and Cher Show with my mother when my dad worked late. That show is one of the few memories I have of the 1970's.

Of all the details my parents have shared with me regarding my birth, the one that is most prominent in my mind is my size. I was the smallest baby in the nursery, weighing in at 5 lbs even, born in a blizzard. Even so, apparently I had a big personality. The nurses nicknamed me "peanut" and during that cold week in January of 1975 at Suffern County Hospital in upstate NY, I got my first (and only) modeling job. They used me to demonstrate to all the new mothers on the floor how to bathe their babies. The first human being I saw was my father, so I've been told by him, many times. He said I was born with my eyes bugging out of my head. They used forceps to pull me out. (I'm sorry Mom.) My parents strapped the seat belt around my little bassinet in the backseat of their Chevy and took me home. That's all I know about my first week of life.

Among the many nice birthday wishes and calls I got yesterday was one from my dad- who admitted that I'm "sort of old" now. Sometimes when I first wake up in the morning out of a really deep sleep, my memory is wiped clean of the previous 30 years for a couple of seconds, and I think I'm a child still. Maybe that's one of the life-long side effects of being born under the reign of a 1970's Pop Chart.

Case in point, last night, to celebrate my birthday, I ate a duck at a French restaurant. That's the first thing I remembered when I woke up this morning next to this very familiar looking guy who claimed to be my husband and three charming little children who were running into my bedroom shouting "Hi Mama!"

And before the past 29 plus 8 birthdays shifted into focus in my mind, for a second I realized that I almost played it safe and ordered chicken.

5 comments:

Caity said...

I hope you had a wonderful birthday. I only recently had duck for the first time at a Thai restaurant and I loved it. I don't even know what was number one on the charts when I was born. :P

Putz said...

oh you had 29 and like jack beenny i am always 39<><>you had stars in your big beautiful eyes and i fell on my head>><go figure

Loren Christie said...

Thanks Caity! I hope you are doing well.

Loren Christie said...

Mr. Putz, I do not know who Jack Beeny is and I'm very sorry you fell on your head.

Putz said...

jack BENNY

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog