Monday, April 02, 2012

Meet Me on the Edge of Uncomfortable

Sometimes it's OK to be a ham.
I'd like to share with you some news that makes me VERY excited. I won first place for best column at the 2011 New York Press Association Better Newspaper Contest this past weekend! One hundred fifty eight newspapers participated in the state-wide competition. Awards were given in 60 categories. Here's what the NYPA judges said:

NYPA 2011 BEST COLUMN
DI V I S I O N 1
FIRST PLACE
Loren Elizabeth Christie - Suffolk County News, Sayville

"These columns are excellent examples of fun, high energy
 writing. Christie relates personal stories but
does so in a way that the reader can connect and
relate to his or her life. The Sept. 11 column was
particularly powerful. The column about admiring
her husband for his home fix-it skills took the reader
to the edge of being uncomfortable but she pulled
back just in time."

Click here to see all the award winners: NYPA 2011 Better Newspaper Awards

Here are the three columns that I submitted to the judges:

Remembering 9-11
Everything I Need to Know I Learned at the Dinner Table
Maybe I Was Being Too Forward

4 comments:

rhymeswithplague said...

Congratulations!

I haven't visited here in a while, but this morning when I posted this post I thought of you.

God works in mysterious ways.

Now I'm off to read your award-winning columns.

Loren Christie said...

Hello Mr. Brague. Thank you and I hope you and the Mrs. are well.

Putz said...

wow two great things<><>1... good old rhymsee is reading your stuff, and 2 your stuff is really really good<><i have read and concur of course or in course i have concured

Putz said...

I HAVE ATTEMPTED ONCE AGAIN TO PUT MY RAMBLINGS IN BLOGS AND THEN 680 OF THEM IN A BOOK WITH THE SAME FORMANT AS MY BLOG<><>LUCK TO ME

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog