Friday, April 27, 2012

Welcome to the Dark Side, Sis


“But at school I do everything correct!” my youngest boy, (who is about to turn five years-old) exclaimed, in response to my scolding for his latest experiment that involved transforming the toilet into a foul scented foot bath. He’s smart, in a quiet sort of way, unlike his older brother who will interrupt my shower to explain a math equation. Instead, the youngest Christie possesses a criminal type of cunning combined with slightly reckless curiosity that I find both alarming and secretly funny. 

Today was a case in point. His six year-old sister was twirling in the living room curtains despite my warnings of consequences for not listening.  The next thing you know, the rod was on top of her head and a muffled “uh-oh” was coming from under a pile of drapes.  Meanwhile, little brother, who was jumping and laughing beside her, was a tad too celebratory over the mess his sister had made in her defiance.

“It wasn’t me, Mom!” he announced with cheerful certainty, since, for a change, he was clearly not the one tangled up.  

As my daughter struggled to free herself from the curtains, her little brother grabbed one of her hands for a forced high-five.

“Welcome to the dark side, Sis!” he whispered, grinning toward the bulge of transparent lace where an ear was visible.

3 comments:

Milk Man said...

Very funny!

Putz said...

kids seem to delight in the fobils if others< yes i did make that word up

rhymeswithplague said...

He (Putz) meant foibles.

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog