Sunday, June 24, 2012

Swiss Chard Patties

Swiss Chard patties
The Swiss Chard in the garden my dad and I share was ready to cut and cook this past week. It marked our first harvest from out shared community garden plot. Here is a recipe for Swiss Chard patties that is so good. My family loves it.

Swiss Chard is low in calories and fats- although not so much when you prepare it this way. This veggie member of the beet family is loaded with vitamins C and K. Studies show that Vitamin K helps to reverse neuronal damage in the brain, and so it is being used in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. Chard also contains omega-3 fatty acids, B-complex vitamins and is a rich source of minerals. In short, you should eat this stuff, even if it looks like fried frogs. It's delicious, I swear.

Ingredients

A bunch of Swiss Chard leaves chopped
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
one egg
olive oil

Directions:

1- Fry chopped Swiss Chard in olive oil until tender
2- mix cooked Swiss Chard with bread crumbs, cheese and egg in large bowl.
3- form patties
4- fry patties in olive oil until golden brown.

servings depends on how big your harvest is. Four plants yielded about 12 patties.

Dad planting out our garden in May.

The progression of our garden through June.


No comments:

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog