Monday, August 20, 2012

Homemade Pancakes with Triple Berry Syrup

It's not like I was looking to try this. I usually buy the just-add-water pancake mix because mornings at the Christie house are crazy. However, when the box was put back in the cupboard empty and three kids were staring at me with mouths agape because I promised pancakes, I had to do something.

These pancakes are really good. I don't even buy mix anymore because homemade tastes better. The only thing I would like to perfect is their thickness. Mine come out thin and I think that has something to do with the butter consistency and type. Some people add vanilla to this recipe, but I think it makes them taste too sweet.

Toppings allow your pancakes to go from boring to awesome, and I like to load mine up with berries. I found Triple Berry Syrup at Cracker Barrel Restaurant and I love it. You can make this recipe healthier by changing your flour to whole wheat. If you opt to do that you should also use brown sugar instead of regular sugar. I haven't tried the healthier version yet.

This recipe is adapted from the December 2011 issue of a local magazine called Taste for Life.

Ingredients

1 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar
 1/4 tsp salt
1 large egg
 1 cup milk
 2 tbsp melted butter

Stir together dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
In another bowl, beat egg, milk and butter together and then add to the dry ingredients. Mix until smooth.

Use a non-stick pan or griddle heated to about 325 degrees. Flip pancake when bubbles appear on the surface. Turn pancakes once. Serve with syrup and berries.

No comments:

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog