Monday, August 20, 2012

Sweet-Sour Cabbage

I made this recipe as a side dish to one of my favorite dinners- open roast beef sandwiches with gravy and mashed potatoes. When I go on vacation I pick up local cookbooks and this summer in Savannah, Georgia, I bought a copy of Old Favorite Honey Recipes from the Savannah Bee Company, a store on River Street that features honey products. You can visit their site at www.savannahbee.com. At the store I also purchased a jar of local Tea Honey that I used in this recipe. Tea Honey is light and delicious. If you keep it sealed well and always use a clean spoon when removing some from the jar, honey should stay fresh and does not have to be refrigerated.

Ingredients:

4 cups shredded cabbage
1/2 cup diced Turkey bacon
3 tbsp flour
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 tspn onion, chopped

Directions:

Cook shredded cabbage in boiling salted water until tender. Drain. Cook bacon until crisp and remove from pan; place on cabbage. Blend bacon fat with flour. Add honey, vinegar, water and chopped onion.Cook until thickened. Pour over cabbage and bacon. Season to taste and serve hot.

According to the recipe, you can also substitute cooked potatoes for cabbage.
My two boyfriends waited for me outside the store. Who is cuter? I can't decide. 

No comments:

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog