Monday, October 29, 2012

Hurricane Sandy Apple Turnovers


 The wind is raging outside, but as luck would have it, my gas oven could withstand the end of the world. So, it doesn't matter much that my neighbor's trampoline just flew past my window. I have apple turnovers in the oven and they are almost done. These were made by candlelight, so I was a little heavy handed on the cinnamon and brown sugar; I couldn't see what I was doing.


Ingredients:
3 medium red apples
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 cup golden raisins
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1 egg, separated
1 pkg puff pastry sheets

Directions:
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Toss diced apples with flour. Melt butter in a large, non-stick pan under medium heat. Add apples, raisins, sugar, lemon juice and ginger. Cook, stirring 4 to 5 minutes or until apples are tender. Remove from heat and cool. Then stir in egg yolk only.
Unfold one pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Roll out and cut into four pieces. Spoon 1/4 cup of apple mixture into center of pastry square. Fold over, seal with fork and brush edges with egg white. Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Add brown sugar and cinnamon to top of each turnover.

Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Makes 8 turnovers (2 pastry sheets cut into fours).

2 comments:

Jan's Funny Farm said...

Oh, does that sound good! Hope you have electric there again.

Loren Christie said...

We went nine days without power and lost the back portion of a fence- that's nothing compared to others who suffered damage from both water and fire. We were fortunate.

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog