Thursday, July 25, 2013

How Could Such a Witty Mind Be Forgotten?

Seba Smith, (husband of Elizabeth Oakes Smith),  was really a very fascinating person, and a path-blazer when it came to political satire in the mid 1800's. I really don't understand why he is not more well-known today. Take a look at this article: "From Mascot to Militant: The Many Campaigns of Seba Smith's Major Jack Downing," by Aaron McLean Winter.

If you follow this blog then you know I started researching this couple after "adopting" their grave site, helping a local group beautify an abandoned burial ground in the center of town. So, that basically means I keep an eye on the two graves, put down seasonal flowers and wreaths, and pull the weeds. Below is the earliest picture I've ever come across of Seba Smith. I bought this image on ebay and it looks like a book plate engraving.
 

2 comments:

Tim Scherman said...

I think this drawing shows Seba perhaps even younger than when he married EOS. I think she described him as balding at 32.

It seems he was "batching" with one of his partners at the Eastern Argus when he met EOS in the early 1820s. At MHS I came across a record of his living with this guy either above the office of the newspaper or around the corner. I have some very cool maps of Portland from that time showing just where that was--going up on the website as soon as I get permission from Maine Historical Society.

Loren Christie said...

Tim, wow that's really interesting!

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog