Friday, July 18, 2008

The Disappearance of Duck, Part I


The dog, whom I affectionately call "Hell Hound," is a plush toy psycho killer. When she was a puppy, and I was childless, I thought it was funny that she ripped every stuffed toy I handed her to shreds. I guess the Dog Whisperer would give me an "F" for my pet parenting skills. I say, if I had to mess up my first try at parenting, I'm glad I practiced on my dog.

Just when I think all are sleeping peacefully I hear a shriek from Princess' room. "MAMA! DUCK IS MISSING!" I play dumb. "Where did you see him last?"

The princess lets out a heavy sigh. "I left him outside and now he's lost at the spooky night in the dark, dark forest." Her lips quiver and form that sad look that makes me want to trek out into the mosquito filled yard to dig up a stuffed duck.

Thinking quickly, I decide to lie to the little angel. "Don't worry about duck! Mommy found him, but he is dirty! So he decided to take a swim in the washing machine and you'll have him back tomorrow."

The princess smiles, squinting. She closes her eyes and falls back asleep, still smiling.

Nice job mommy. Now I have to find that duck before sunrise.

No comments:

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog