Thursday, November 13, 2008

God Goes Digital

When I was a child someone asked me to draw God. So I drew an old guy with a long beard sitting on a cloud. My idea of what God looks like has changed since then. I think if I would have kept this viewpoint, I would not be religious at all today, because I can't relate to the guy in that picture. He seems very far away and removed from me.

What I'm learning is that faith depends on a sense that God is present with us, and that must be a presence we can relate to. To me he is no longer a stuffy, smiting deity with a crown of thunder, but a father, mother, friend, husband, siblings, children, extended family, good Samaritans, loving pets, or even the beauty of nature that surrounds and soothes me when I'm stressed. All these forms make up my perception of who God is. When my life is over, I wont be surprised if I find myself facing some sort of digital picture frame. That might be God, changing into all the forms he took to walk beside me in my life journey. God takes the image of the people in my life who teach me what love is.

I ranted about my seasonal rage on Tuesday, so to balance things out a bit, now I'll focus on on a song I love, and the idea of gratitude, since we're approaching Thanksgiving Day. There are so many songs I like for various reasons and most of the time, they have specific memories attached to them. All of the songs on the play list on this blog were picked for that reason. The one I'm choosing for this post is the last song on the playlist. This is probably one of the most beautifully written songs I've ever heard. It accurately reflects my own feelings about my relationship with God.

Here are the lyrics:

"I Am"
by Nichole Norderman

"Pencil marks on a wall, I wasn't always this tall
You scattered some monsters from beneath my bed
You watched my team win
You watched my team lose
Watched when my bicycle went down again
And when I was weak, unable to speak
Still I could call You by name
And I said, Elbow Healer, Superhero
Come if You can
You said, I Am

Only sixteen, life is so mean
What kind of curfew is at 10pm?
You saw my mistakes
And watched my heart break
Heard when I swore I'd never love again
And when I was weak, unable to speak
Still I could call You by name
And I said Heartache Healer, Secret Keeper
Be my best friend
And you said, I Am

You saw me wear white by pale candlelight
I said forever to what lies ahead
Two kids and a dream, with kids that can scream
Too much it might seem when it is 2am
And when I am weak, unable to speak

Still I will call You by name
Shepherd, Savior, Pasture Maker
Hold onto my hand
You say, I Am

The winds of change and circumstance blow in and all around us
So we find a foothold that's familiar
And bless the moments that we feel You nearer
When life had begun, I was woven and spun
You let the angels dance around the throne
And who can say when, but they'll dance again
When I am free and finally headed home
I will be weak, unable to speak
Still I will call You by name
Creator, Maker, Life Sustainer
Comforter, Healer, my Redeemer
Lord and King, Beginning and the End
I Am
Yes, I Am"

I can't forget to think of all these influences in my life who show me what God looks like, and remind me of his close presence beside me. I am grateful for how loved I am not just on Thanksgiving Day, but always.

(The picture above is called "Jesus on Dallas" from Flickr)

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog