Tuesday, January 20, 2009

An Outstanding Book


I just finished reading a book called The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Volume 1: The Pox Party, written by M.T. Anderson. There are several reasons why I love this book, and plan to read volume 2. If I were still a teacher, I'd have my students read it.

It is a fictional slave narrative that draws on real events and actual practices. Personally, I'm fascinated by slave narratives. The extent to which the human spirit is pushed in this horrible circumstance, and the amazing strength that victims of slavery demonstrate captivates me. I was surprised to find out that it is considered a Young Adult novel, because the references to literature and history are challenging and multi-faceted. I was reminded of certain works of Edgar Allan Poe and a great poem by Paul Laurence Dunbar called "We Wear the Mask" while reading. An adult can appreciate this novel. The depiction of dueling opinions of that time is exceptional. The character, Mr. Sharpe, gives great insight into Utilitarian thought, (and he is quite a psycho).

Plus, this novel is so well-written; it was a very enjoyable read. Did I mention that I love this book? Anyway, if you are into historical fiction, pick it up. Here's my favorite line:
"At long last, you may no longer distinguish what binds you from what is you." (314)
This sentence applies to all types of slavery, not just the physical.
Above is a picture of the cover.

No comments:

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog