Thursday, October 22, 2009

Reflections on The True Meaning of Easter CD


The True Meaning of Easter, written by Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen, incorporates his own words and the story of Christ's Passion narrated by Matthew Arnold. Archbishop Sheen expands on the Gospel with insightful sermons that link the gardens of Gethsemane and Eden in symbolic redemptive significance. Because of the tone of the recordings, and the complexity of the sermons, I think this CD is most appropriate for an adult audience. The recordings of the bishop have an old-time radio feel that I liked, but my children did not. My daughter went so far as to ask me:

"Mommy, why is the man on the CD shouting at us?"

I guess the intensity of the bishop's sermons do not translate to the Blues Clues crowd.

The Stations of the Cross are heart-wrenching and moving, and I would recommend skipping parts of the sermon and going right to the story when listening with young children. (Forgive me, Bishop Sheen!)

To learn more about the CD, The True Meaning of Easter, please visit The Catholic Company online. This review was completed for The Catholic Company Reader Review Program.

No comments:

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog