Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Weekly Gratitude List

I want to begin this gratitude list with a poem that I came across. It was written by a Confederate solider and it reflects a truly humble heart. As I was reading it I could picture this young soldier huddled in a ditch somewhere, dirty and broken from war. It really moved me. Although, unlike the author of this poem, I have been given many things that I have prayed for and I am fortunate, this is the type of perspective I'd like to keep. I think that having a mindset of gratitude will make me humble and hopeful throughout life.

I Asked

I asked for strength that I might achieve;
I was made weak that I might learn to obey.
I asked for health that I might do greater things;
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.
I asked for riches that I might be happy;
I was given poverty that I might be wise.
I asked for power that I might have the praise of men;
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things that I might enjoy life;
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
 I got nothing that I had asked for,
but everything that I had hoped for.
Almost despite myself my unspoken prayers were answered;
I am, among all men, most richly blessed.
-poem found on the body of a Confederate Soldier recovered in Devil's Den after the Battle of Gettysburg


-Photo by Jim Lowney

This week I am thankful for:


1. a wonderful family
2. being blessed with all that I need plus more
3. fall
5. fresh pumpkin pie


What are you thankful for? Send me a comment.

2 comments:

Putz said...

i am greatful for an extended family that goes back for years and years and for others than brothers and sisters that go sideways from my family and for people like loren and me that researxch people out from the past and loren you did not comment on the post JUS FOR YU, i was probably typing it as you were commenting on my hans blog...go back i say, back and comment on differZnces

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

I am thankful that I got a nap in for 2 days in a row.

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog