Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Halloween Experiment

Every Halloween, at ten minutes to midnight, I tip-toe to the back of my yard with a camera in hand, and take a bunch of pictures of the cemetery. If I'm feeling extra adventurous, I sit on top of the chain link fence to get a better view. Is this weird? NO, because it's Halloween, and since I can only trick or treat vicariously through my children, a grown girl's got to have a little fun.

Do I believe in ghosts? Um,..........only when I see them :) Seriously, when you've worked in a high school setting, nothing really comes as a surprise anymore. I definitely believe in souls, but I'm not sure souls can be visible to the living, because I'm still alive. It's just fun to conduct my little experiment, which never yields any terrifying results. Unless you count the year I got spooked sitting on the fence and FELL into the graveyard. I never climbed so fast in my life. I was more afraid of being arrested for trespassing, which would have been crazy. I might have been committed to an asylum when folks heard what this suburban, sugar-cookie baking mom was doing for fun.

--- Readers, you KNOW I'm not crazy, but just "differently motivated." Play along with me. Can you spot anything SPOOKY below? (Halloween at midnight in the graveyard next door, 2007) Stay tuned to this post after tomorrow night. I'll have another picture if I'm unlucky enough to still be awake at midnight.






4 comments:

Hell Hound said...

I think I see a pirate cat, and the ghost of Roscoe Dog, comin' to get revenge on me...Quick, Pee the floor!

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

I think I see white circles in the air. Hope you'll let us know what they are!

Bear Midnight Miller said...

I don't see too well these days. I bark at birds just as much as at cats. If I see movement I will bark. I have to smell my food and water to see which is which. In this graveyard I just see darkness but something doesn't feel right.

Loren said...

Those circles might be other stones in the distance, because the graves go all the way back to a lake.

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog