Tuesday, December 02, 2008

What the ??@#! Do I Do With This Carcass? Recipe

(Don't read this, Mom.)

My mother sent me home on Thanksgiving Day with a turkey carcass because I wanted to attempt homemade soup. I lied and told her, "Of course I know what to do with it."

First I cut it out of the white garbage bag that she wrapped it in. Then I threw it on a cutting board and stared at it until Milk Man came into the kitchen and asked me what the heck I was doing. As soon as he saw the butcher knife in my hand, he left.

All those bones and skin really overwhelmed me, so I re-wrapped the carcass and put it in the fridge for a day, while I tried to figure out how to squeeze some soup out of the poor, already mutilated bird. I looked up turkey soup on the Internet, and opened all the cookbooks I own to similar recipes. Then I read everything and came up with my own method. After the soup was done I gave it to a panel of one judge who eats medieval-style, and he gave it a 10! See the picture? Anyway, here's the fantastic recipe. You should try it one day.


---Judge says: "Yike it... More?"


Loren's Surprisingly Good Carcass Soup Recipe


You need:
  • a big carcass of a Turkey (also works with a Peacock, I bet)

  • celery chopped

  • onion chopped

  • leftover veggies from your fridge

  • cooked rice leftover

  • 3-4 chicken bouillon packets

  • salt

  • Use your judgment for the amounts
  1. Take a turkey carcass and try to chop the wings off. Then get the biggest pot you own and just dump the whole thing into it. Fill the pot with water and boil that bird until all the meat comes off his bones. Next skim the fat, skin and anything else that looks gross off the top of the soup. Then remove the bones.

  2. Add all the leftover veggies in your fridge to the pot, carrots, green beans etc. Then add some chopped onion and celery. Next add three or four packets of sodium-free chicken bouillon and the leftover rice.

  3. In about an hour the soup will be done and you can add salt if you like. Enjoy your carcass soup!

5 comments:

Bonnie Way aka the Koala Mom said...

Sounds like what I'd do. If I were a soup-making person. Which my husband thinks I should be, as he hates wasting food. :)

horatio salt said...

"Carcass" soup! What a name! But I loved the picture of your little gobbler gobbling it up.

Romy and Andrew said...

My mom just told me to do this, but we had Thanksgiving at my mother-in-law's and she made turkey breast only saying, "noone even likes the dark meat." No carcass this year, but I do make a mean vegetarian split pea soup!

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

That's pretty much how I make my carcass soup, although I never heard it called that! Good instructions here! I guess it's safe to write here what my son wrote in his school journal about meals at my in-laws. "Grandma's food is too fancie. I don't like fancie food."

Hell Hound said...

Oh My Goodness! Do you see this post, PETA?! The Christies are cooking bird bodies. This is dispicable...I'll have to test the unattended bowl on the counter to see if it's REALLY bird soup. I'll write my report in the morning after I sleep off the tryptophan. Can you believe these canibals I live with?

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog