Saturday, January 24, 2009
Jobs I've Held -The List
Junior High School and High School Jobs:
1. volunteer religious education teacher
2. Orange Julius worker - washed dishes in the company of a roach I named Spot...quit so I would not miss a party.
3. Sam Goody- stocked shelves and helped customers...got a great discount on music
4. waitress in a pizza place - occasional weekends...handed customers the specials board when I could not pronounce them.
5. bus girl/waitress at a seafood restaurant... clientele cross-dressed... stopped saying Ma'am/Sir quickly after bad tips... got to take home lunch, and the chef taught me some cooking tips...was reprimanded for freeing a crab... regret forgetting to remove his rubber bands before throwing him back into the bay from a second floor window... hope he got them off! :(
6. Lerner's clothing store- I just remember folding shirts and chatting with mall security guards.
7. Grand Union grocery store- cashier... worked there in high school and first year of college... got hit with a box of frozen fish sticks on my 18th birthday by an angry customer...Life is cruel.
Jobs while in College:
8. after school program teacher
9. summer camp counselor- also taught a college prep and conflict mediation class to teen counselors.
10. preschool teacher- 2 weeks... quit because they cheated me out of first two weeks pay.
11. file clerk in a doctor's office- had a 24 year old boss who abused her power with me, the only employee working under her. As you can imagine, that didn't end well.
12. dark room technician- developed x-ray film for radiologists...position is now extinct, thanks to computers and the digital image...used to read my college textbooks with a flashlight in the dark room while I worked.
Jobs After College:
13. high school English teacher, grades 9-10 in an all girls parochial school... (teacher heaven)
14. high school English teacher, grades 9-12 ...taught regents, honors, journalism classes in a public school
15. mommy to 3
16. writer- wrote about 40 feature articles for a local newspaper as freelance work.
17. Director of a youth ministry program
Readers, tell me about the strangest job you've held. Comment.
Dear Internet Traveler,
Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.