Friday, January 30, 2009

Secret # 1 Self-Control = True Freedom

"To enjoy freedom we have to control ourselves." -Virginia Wolf


To My Beautiful Children,


There are some wise old secrets that I hope to give you as your mother, just as papa and grandmama gave them to me. This first one will make more sense when you are young adults and even older. Only in practicing self restraint will you find true freedom in every sense of the word.

When you make choices with future goals in mind, immediate gratification sometimes must be sacrificed. Poet Robert Frost calls it taking "the road less traveled." I'm not saying that one cannot have fun, but do it in moderation, never losing sight of how immediate actions might impact your future.

It matters little how others judge you on this. If "friends" say "You're too good," thank them. Know that the journey ahead of you will be rich and adventurous, because you will be free from the baggage that comes with poor, short-sighted decisions.

Love Always,

Mommy

2 comments:

Elizabeth Kathryn Gerold-Miller said...

Another insight gleamed from Anna Karenina?

Anonymous said...

I love this! Best line? "never losing sight of how immediate actions might impact your future" Awesome!

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog