Family Guy, a cartoon aimed at adults, is a raunchy show with politically charged undertones. This show uses humor as a vehicle for persuasion. The content on Family Guy reminds me of WWII propaganda films in Nazi Germany. Maybe it is different subject matter, but it is the same idea: target groups in society and mock religions in an effort to spread a certain mindset.
How can violent, hate-filled cartoons targeting adult audiences not have a negative impact on American society? The messages in Family Guy trivialize violence and are anti-Christian. Although it seems appealingly funny, adults with character should have the wherewith all to boycott watching it.
The following summary of a recent episode mocking Terri Shiavo aired on Sunday night, March 21st at 9:00 p.m. EDT/ 8:00 p.m. CDT on Fox.
"Terri Shiavo, the Musical" is where Stewie dresses up as an electrical plug while the preschool class sings: "Only one solution, pull the plug, her brains are like mashed potatoes and she is kind of alive-o." The children who are acting as her doctor and husband say, "She is a vegetable." Another child says, "I hate vegetables!" and the audience/parents all laugh at this disturbing scene.
This episode also included:
• Peter is also naked in a large water fountain, while riding a dolphin and a dolphin licks Peter's nipple in his female boss' fantasy.
• Daughter, Meg, tells parents that she has been sexually harassed by her teacher and the parents act as if they do not care.
• A couple of characters on the show tell Peter it is ok to hit a girl when he tells them his female boss is sexually harassing him.
• Peter's boss tries to commit suicide.
-Above summary taken from Onemillionmoms.org
Several episodes of Family Guy mock Jesus.
The Sunday, August 16, 2009, 9:00 PM EDT episode of Family Guy entitled "I Dream of Jesus:"
• Mocked His crucifixion and resurrection when Peter compared Jesus' sacrifice to the trials he experienced one night that he and his buddies got very drunk.
• Belittled Judas' betrayal of Jesus when the Jesus character joked about it.
• Mocked the importance of the miracles Jesus performed when the character Jesus tripled the breast size of Peter's wife.
• Suggested that the Bible is not important to Jesus when the character Jesus asked "What Word?" after Peter said "You've returned to bring us the Good Word."
• Portrayed Jesus as a liar for denying who he was three times, out of touch for not interacting with people and a wimp for not knowing His calling.
• Compared Jesus revealing Himself to man to Chris exposing himself in school.
-above summary taken from Onemilliondads.org
I'm the first person to enjoy a good laugh, however this is not funny content. I admit that when I have control of the remote, I watch Law and Order, SpongeBob SquarePants, The Office, late-night repeats of Scrubs or whatever is on The Food Network. I know that most of these shows dance on the line of appropriate content and occasionally cross it. However, Family Guy clearly crosses that line over and over again, blatantly insulting the values and religious beliefs of many Americans. What is the creator of this show, Seth MacFarlane, thinking? What is his motive, other than to make a buck? MacFarlane is using this cartoon to spread hate under the guise of humor. He is attempting to trivialize repulsive attitudes and behavior.
If you agree that this show is disgusting, you can find out ways to protest it at Onemillionmoms.org, or Onemilliondads.org . I'd love to hear your thoughts on Family Guy.
Read more at:
Suite101: How TV Violence Controls Kids' Minds: Children's Viewing of Violent TV is Linked to Later Aggression
TV and Film Violence Study