Saturday, August 09, 2008

News FLASH! Animals Flock to Christie Yard Possibly Searching for an Ark

Did you really think I'd give up on bird watching that easily? After my little dinner joke, which prompts screams of horror from Big Brother, and the scolding: "Mommy, Don't be RI-DICK-OO-LUS!" from the princess, I decide not to teach Milk Man a lesson. I cook something other than birdseed for dinner, choosing a recipe from my treasured Campbell's Soup cookbook. Later that evening, I refill the feeders.
(A FEW DAYS LATER...)
Sometimes, in order to to feel more calm and centered, I sit at the kitchen table and say a Rosary. Today, the princess joins me. She has her own colorful wooden beads that were a gift from grandmama M. During the prayer I get up to pull baby brother out from a tangle of curtains. There in the window perched on one of my new feeders is a beautiful male finch. He's looking directly at me, chirping loudly. Meanwhile, I hear thunder, and strangely, the sun is shining.


I inch closer to the window and peer out. Down on the grass below the feeder is a big frog. I grab my camera and try to get a picture. Then I go outside to safely relocate the frog before Hell Hound finds it. I hold him carefully and bring him to the back of the yard near the old cemetery. He jumps safely through the chain link fence. Walking back to the house, I spot a large Monarch butterfly. In the clouds ahead, I see breaks of sun light and lightening at the same time. Milk Man calls me from work with a weather report. "What's the weather like by you? It's raining buckets here. I bet you're going to get this storm soon."

Now, if I see a swarm of locusts and possibly, a giraffe, then I'll know for sure that God is trying to tell me something.

No comments:

Dear Internet Traveler,

Welcome to my writer's blog, started about six years ago for fun. Over time, the writing I have posted has ranged from personal reflection, to Long Island history research, to tall tales for my own amusement, to feature articles for local newspapers. As you can see from topics listed here, I travel in many mental directions in regard to interests. Click on the tabs and labels to explore my strange mind which senses that you may be having a criss-cross day. If so, perhaps this blog will distract you. However, please note that if you tell me my blog is beautiful just to get me to advertise rhinoplasty surgery and cheap drugs from Canada in your comment, I will ask the gods to give you a tail that cannot be concealed.

Fondly,

Loren Christie

Be Our Guest!

Be Our Guest!
Come tour the John Scudder Havens Historic Homestead at 15 Main Street, Center Moriches, NY. Click on the picture for more infomation.

Search This Blog